Monday, October 26, 2009

Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash

I had two acorn squash that I had to use up soon since I accidentally tore the stem off while harvesting - Oops! Oh well, my loss is my gain as I found some great recipes for this particular squash, and not your run of the mill "drizzle it in honey" recipes. In fact, I found two really interesting ones and couldn't decide, so I made them both!

The recipe base came from elizadomestica.com. Just like Eliza, I had to make a few changes. The original recipe came from the October 2009 edition Martha Stewart Living magazine if you are interested.

The following is my version of this recipe...

Ingredients
  • One medium acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
  • 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 scallion, separate the green and white parts and chop
  • 1 slice sweet onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup chicken bouillon
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 cups of veggie burger mix
  • 1/2 cup barley
  • 1/8 cup raisins, minced
  • 3 tablespoons chopped ripe sweet pepper
  • 2 tablespoons chopped apple
  • 2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoons cilantro, minced

Directions

Cut acorn squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Bake at 350F face down in an oiled baking dish for 30 minutes.

While squash is baking, saute in a medium frying pan white scallion, onion, and garlic in 1 TBS olive oil. Add chicken bouillon and sprinkle in cinnamon and nutmeg. Once the bouillon and seasoning are thoroughly mixed in, add water, veggie burger mix and barley. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the barley is cooked. Add more water during the cooking if necessary to keep it moist.

Near the end of the cooking process, add the raisins, pepper and apple.

Turn the heat up a little, add 1TBS olive oil and allow the mix to dry out so that it holds a form. Add the pine nuts and cilantro and mound into squash halves. Bake for 15 - 30 minutes until squash is soft.

The following are pictures of the squash before and after cooking.












The dark is the Moroccan (the light is the other recipe I tried: Corn Chowder Acorn Squash). This was definitely a great recipe, and, it was even better as leftovers!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Love your recipes and your blog.

Amy said...

You have a great cooking blog, as well! I love acorn squash! I seem to cook the same things over and over. I need some new recipes. -Amy

Sylvana said...

Susan, thanks! I love to share my recipes.

Amy, I liked both of these recipes very much - and they are even great as leftovers.

I like acorn squash because they are easy to grow and last a long time in the pantry.