Sunday, October 25, 2009

Corn Chowder Acorn Squash

I had two acorn squash that I had to use up soon since I accidentally tore the stem off while harvesting - Oops! Oh well, my loss is my gain as I found some great recipes for this particular squash, and not your run of the mill "drizzle it in honey" recipes. In fact, I found two really interesting ones and couldn't decide, so I made them both!

The base recipe came from fredlet.
  • 1 acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup half & half
  • 1 egg
  • 1 can sweet corn, drained
  • 1/3 cup grated Italian cheese (I used Romano and Asiago)
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 sweet pepper, ripe (orange or red are great) chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1. Turn on your oven to 350F
2. Cut the acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon
3. Cook acorn squash cut side down in an oiled baking pan for 30 minutes.
5. Put the corn, shallots, garlic and sweet pepper in a frying pan (I used cast iron) over medium heat. You want to roast these ingredients. A little charring is ideal, just don't burn them.

Mix egg, half & half, cheese in a saucepan. Warm over low heat to melt the cheese.


Add the roasted mix and continue heating until the chowder thickens. Stuff the squash halves with as much of the chowder as they will hold.
Bake at 325F for 40-45 minutes.

The following are pictures of the squash before and after cooking.


The light one is the corn chowder squash (the dark is the other recipe I tried: Moroccan Stuffed Acorn Squash). This was definitely a great recipe. My son ate a half of one clean and I froze the other for a quick dinner later.

No comments: