Monday, December 17, 2018

Vegetarian Swedish Meatballs

I was bringing Swedish meatballs to the potluck at work, and wanted to bring a vegetarian version as well. I really couldn't find a good one online, so as usual, I made one up.

I had a lot of trouble getting the flavor of the meatball the way I wanted it, I accidentally used twice as much black pepper than I intended, and I couldn't get a veggie brown sauce that didn't taste like bitter onion soup - so I almost scrapped the whole thing. However, after a few additions to the meatballs and an herb sauce in place of the brown sauce, they turned out great! I am planning to make bunches to freeze, and make Italian versions for spaghetti as well.


meatballs:
  • 8 oz cooked black eyed peas, drained and mashed
  • 1/2 onion, minced (can saute or leave raw)
  • 3 TBS olive oil or melted butter
  • 1/3 cup bulghur wheat, soaked overnight, drained
  • 1/3 cup oatmeal, cooked or soaked overnight in water, milk, yogurt, or sour cream
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 TBS soy sauce (Kikoman works very well for this)
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp garlic salt or adobo
  • 2 eggs
gravy:
  • 1 cup milk or cream
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp thyme, ground
  • 1 TBS parmesan/romano or Jarlsberg, shredded
  • 1 tsp garlic salt or adobo

Heat oven to 300F with a small pan of water on the lower rack.

Mix meatball ingredients together.
Form into 1" balls and place on a well oiled cookie sheet. (They are easier to roll if you cool the mix).
Drizzle or brush olive oil on the balls.
Bake for 30 mins. Make sure to keep the water pan filled as they bake.

Mix gravy ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to simmer.
Simmer until it thickens to the desired consistency.
If you are having trouble getting it thick enough, add a little more flour mixed in milk to the mixture, and simmer some more.

Serve the meatballs with just the sauce or over noodles.

No comments: